Thursday, April 17, 2014

Cella’s Chocolate Covered Cherries


A 4-13                        Cella’s Chocolate Covered Cherries


 

Angelo Cella arrived in New York, from Italy, in 1859 or 1860.  He would have been 27 or 28 years old.  His children were all born in America but the date and place of his marriage to Marie are unknown.  Antonio, was born 1861 in NYC, John, was born 1862 in NYC, and Mary was born in 1869 in NJ.  Antonio later Americanized his name to Anthony.  He was Anna Cella’s father and Ruth Mahoney’s grandfather.

Quite likely Angelo was working in New York City at the same time Cella Chocolates began manufacturing in 1864 on West Broadway at Canal Street.  By 1880 both his sons had joined him in his trade.  In the 1880 Federal Census for Fort Lee, NJ, Angelo and his 2 sons list their occupations as confectioners.  In the 1900 census both Angelo and Antonio remain confectioners.  It turns out Aunt Ina had also discovered some of this same connection and had shared it with Ruth.  Hats off to her research.

Cella Chocolate covered cherries were the first and are still listed among the top 3 favorite makers.  They were bought by Tootsie in 1985.

 This is from the 1880 Federal Census in NYC.  Note the 3 ‘confectioners’ named Cella.
 
Wikipedia confirms the Tootsie Roll Industries purchase of Cella’s in 1985 from the Masarik family who remained part owners.
I have e-mailed Tootsie Roll Industries asking for more history or inviting contact from the Masarik family.  So far I have not received answers since the request on 20 Mar 2014. On 1 April 2014 I sent out additional requests to some of the “Candy Historians” in NYC– Steve K


3 comments:

  1. Wondering where the cherry cordials are made. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in my pottery studio at the corner of West Broadway and Broome Street from 1968 to 1978 and the wonderful smells of Cellas chocolate came to the neighborhood when the windows were open in warm weather. Cella was making cherry cordials and we all enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this post when I was searching the history of Cella's Chocolate Covered Cherries to see if, as perhaps maybe a joke, I would find some long lost relatives. I was surprised to see my very Irish last name popping up! My name is Cella Mahoney, for reference, but I actually know very little of my Irish family history. I'm not sure how long ago they moved to the United States but I do know my Italian side of the family immigrated in the early 1900s. It is still clearly a mystery unsolved but fascinating.

    ReplyDelete