Wednesday, April 16, 2014

How large is the Tree?

As of 4/16/2014 my Green-Mahoney Family tree had 240 direct ancestors.


The actual tree in my computer is much larger.  It includes living aunts, uncles, in-laws, nieces, nephews, and cousins who, for the preservation of everyone's privacy, I am compelled not to share on a public blog.  This private tree  also includes some of my own parents' families, which aren't very many people, but, the total in the tree, today,  is 1,768 people, most of them Green ancestors. 


Siblings among the ancestors, aren't listed as direct ancestors, but families with 8 to 12 children were not unusual.  There are lots of indirect ancestors, leading to some distant cousins still living. 


I am in contact with a fellow genealogist named Bill Green who traces his ancestry back to 4-1 William Charles Green.  William's son 3-1 Joseph is our ancestor, William's son, William  (Joseph's brother), is this Bill Greens ancestor.  I have a separate sketch waiting for Bill's approve to share with you.  But you should know, I have shared our reunion schedule with him.  He could be a surprise guest.


Somewhere I remember reading; "Parenthood is hereditary.  If your parents didn't have any children, when you won't either."  Might have been in Mad Magazine many years ago.


Someday science may change this but for now, every person must have 2 biological parents, and 4 grandparents, and 8 great grandparents, 16 great great grandparents, etc.  By the time you reach back to the 18th generation, there are 262,144 possible g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g.g.grand parents (15 great's).  I've only found 1 of them in the 18th generation, but I know there are more so I keep digging. 


Carol will often ask me 'Who did you dig up today" when she gets home.   Sometime I smile and say my hands are dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment